American Coffee Berry Tree


Kentucky Coffee Tree
The American Coffee Berry Tree also known as the Kentucky coffee tree grows in moist woods, creek banks, and flood plains. It is mainly found in the Midwest from western Ohio to eastern Kansas and Oklahoma, southern Michigan to northern Alabama and Tennessee. The tree was much planted around farm houses and may now be maintained as ornamentals around newer buildings.
Kentucky_Coffee_Tree_BerryKentucky Coffee Tree Seeds
Conditions of poisoning:
The leaves, seeds and pulp are poisonous and have affected sheep, cattle, horses, and humans. Sprouts eaten in the spring have produced toxicosis. Pods and seeds on the ground eaten in the fall or winter have produced poisoning. Leaves, young sprouts and seeds with the gelatinous material around them contain the toxin.
Until spring grasses and herbage are abundant, animals should not be grazed in woods where the Kentucky coffee tree grows or where it has been cut and allowed to sprout. Since there are never more than a few of these trees in any woodland, sprouts can be grubbed out periodically, and thus poisoning from them can be prevented.The pods cling to the tree through the winter and are shed in the spring. To prevent animals from eating the fallen pods, large fruiting trees can be fenced in. Although the tree has little commercial value, it is so rare that unnecessary cutting of it is not recommended.

Kentucky_Coffee_Tree_LeavesKentucky Coffee Tree Leaves

Toxic Principle:
The toxic principle of this plant is uncertain. It is possibly the quinolizidine alkaloid, cytisine, which acts like nicotine.

Poisoning Symptoms include:
Rapid onset (within 1 hour) of intense gastrointestinal irritation, profuse diarrhea and straining, vomiting, hypertension, bradycardia, respiratory depression, muscle paralysis, and convulsions. Animals often display depression. Death usually occurs within a day after clinical signs appear.If you animal show any of these signs


 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly