Arrowgrass (Triglochin maritima)


ARROWGRASS

(Triglochin maritima)
ArrowgrassArrowgrass

Arrowgrass is found in all the western states. As long as arrow grass has adequate moisture, it does not cause poisoning. When growth is stunted from lack of moisture or an early frost, plants become toxic. Poisonous arrow grass grows best in soil covered with water. In such soil it may spread over large areas. In moist soil or near springs, it some times grows in small patches. Arrow grass starts growth in early spring. How much arrow grass does it take to poison? This depends on the toxicity of the plants and the rate at which the plants are eaten. About 1/50 of an ounce of hydrocyanic acid of stunted arrow grass will kill a 600 pound animal. The toxic dose must be eaten at one time to cause death, because the poison is not cumulative. Death results from respiratory failure.

Toxic Principle:
The toxic principle of this plant is hydrocyanic or prussic acid.

Poisoning Symptoms include:
The action of hydrocyanic acid is so rapid that it is usually too late to treat an affected animal after the signs are recognized. The signs are nervousness, abnormal breathing–either very rapid or slow and deep, trembling or jacking muscles, blue coloration of the lining of the mouth, and spasms or convulsions continuing at short intervals until respiratory failure causes death.

SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435