Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii/Poinciana gilliesii/Strelitzia reginae)


(Caesalpinia gilliesii/Poinciana gilliesii/Strelitzia reginae)
Strelitzia reginae is a monocotyledonous flowering plant indigenous to South Africa. Common names include Strelitzia, Crane Flower or Bird of Paradise, though these names are also collectively applied to other species in the genus Strelitzia. Its scientific name commemorates Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, queen consort of King George III.

BirdofParadise-Caesalpinia-gilliesiiBird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii)

The plant grows to 2 m (6.6 ft) tall, with large, strong leaves 25–70 cm (9.8–28 in) long and 10–30 cm (3.9–12 in) broad, produced on petioles up to 1 m (39 in) long. The leaves are evergreen and arranged in two ranks, making a fan-shaped crown. The flowers stand above the foliage at the tips of long stalks. The hard, beak-like sheath from which the flower emerges is termed the spathe. This is placed perpendicular to the stem, which gives it the appearance of a bird’s head and beak; it makes a durable perch for holding the sunbirds which pollinate the flowers. The flowers, which emerge one at a time from the spathe, consist of three brilliant orange sepals and three purplish-blue petals. Two of the blue petals are joined together to form an arrow-like nectary. When the sunbirds sit to drink the nectar, the petals open to cover their feet in pollen.


Toxic Principle:
Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii/Poinciana gilliesii)
The toxic principle of this plant is Uncertain, possibly hydrocyanic acid.

Bird of Paradise Flower (Strelitzia reginae)
Not as toxic as ‘Bird of Paradise’ (see above), but the fruit and seeds of this plant are poisonous if chewed.

Poisoning Symptoms include:
The onset is sudden. Prostration followed by death. Other symptoms are drowsiness, lachrymation, twitching muscles, staggering, and inability to stand.


 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly