Bluegreen Algae (Mycrocystis)

<BACK


BLURGREEN ALGAE

(Mycrocystis)

BlueGreenAlgaeBluegreen Algae Bloom

Microcystis is a cyanobacteria algae that grows naturally on the surface of many waterbodies. Under certain conditions (such as warm weather and an abundance of nutrients in the water) the algae may undergo an explosive type of growth that results in dense, floating mats of algae. This is commonly referred to as an “algae bloom.”

Microcystis is different from most other types of algae because it secretes a toxin into the water. During an algae bloom, the amount of toxin in the water can become elevated and exposure can be potentially harmful to people and animals.

Toxic Principle:
Diverse taxa of cyanobacteria produce ß-N-methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA), a neurotoxic amino acid- Proc. the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (2005)

Poisoning Symptoms include:
Contact with high levels of the cyanobacteria algae has been found to contribute to eye, ear, and skin irritation. More serious health effects (e.g. muscle cramps, twitching) can also occur. If elevated levels of the algal toxin, microcystin, are also present in the water, serious liver damage can result. The levels of toxin necessary to produce immediate or acute illness in humans and animals are much higher than levels that may cause chronic liver injury. Drinking water standards are usually based on chronic effects. Currently, there is no drinking water standard in the U.S. for microcystins. Canada, Australia, and Great Britain have developed a guideline level of 1 microgram toxin per liter of water, or 1 part per billion (1 ppb). During algal blooms, toxin levels can greatly exceed 1 ppb.

SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435