Calla Lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica)

<BACK


CALLA LILY

(Zantedeschia aethiopica)
A.K.A.
Pig Lily, White Arum, Trumpet Lily, Florist’s Calla,
Garden Calla, Arum Lilly
______

CallaLilly-Zantedeschia-aethiopicaCalla Lily “Zantedeschia aethiopica”

Zantedeschia is a genus of herbaceous flowering plants in the family Araceae, native to southern Africa. Common names include arum lily, calla, and calla lily although it is neither a true lily, nor Arum or Calla. They grow naturally in marshy areas. All Cala Lilies produce large, showy flowers spathes and are often grown both as ornamental plants and for cut flowers.

CallaLilly-Zantedeschia-elliottianaCalla Lily “Zantedeschia elliottiana”

Distribution:
All species are endemic Native to southern and east Africa in Lesotho, South Africa, Swaziland, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya and Madeira. It has become naturalized in Australia, particularly inWestern Australia where it occurs in areas with high periodical water tables and sandy soils, and has been classified as a toxic weed and pest.

CallaLilly-Zantedeschia-rehmanniiCalla Lily “Zantedeschia rehmannii.”

Conditions of Poisoning:
All parts are poisonous. The plant is considered toxic due to the presence of calcium oxalate.

Toxic Principle:
Insoluble calcium oxalates
Calcium oxalate is highly insoluble and contributes to kidney stones, gout, or rheumatoid arthritis.

Clinical Signs:
A small dose of calcium oxalate is enough to cause intense sensations of burning in the mouth and throat, swelling, and choking that could last for up to two weeks. In greater doses it can cause severe digestive upset, breathing difficulties, coma or even death. Recovery from severe oxalate poisoning is possible, but permanent liver and kidney damage may occur.

IMMEDIATELY CAll YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435