(Rumex crispus L.)
Yellow Dock, Sour Dock, Narrow Dock, Garden Patience, sometimes as Narrow-leaved Dock
Curly Dock also known as Yellow Dock, Sour Dock, Narrow Dock, sometimes as “narrow-leaved dock” (which properly refers to a variant of Sorrel), and ambiguously as “garden patience”, is a perennial flowering plant in the family Polygonaceae, native to Europe and western Asia.
The mature plant is a reddish brown color, and produces a stalk that grows to about 1 m high. It has smooth leaves shooting off from a large basal rosette, with distinctive waved or curled edges. On the stalk flowers and seeds are produced in clusters on branched stems, with the largest cluster being found at the apex. The seeds are shiny, brown and encased in the calyx of the flower that produced them. This casing enables the seeds to float on water and get caught in wool and animal fur, and this helps the seeds to spread to new locations. The root-structure is a large, yellow, forking taproot.
Curled Dock is a widespread naturalized species throughout the temperate world, which has become a serious invasive species in many areas, including throughout North America, southern South America, New Zealand and parts of Australia. It spreads through the seeds contaminating crop seeds, and sticking to clothing. It is designated an “injurious weed” under the UK Weeds Act 1959. It is often seen in disturbed soils at the edges of roadsides, railway beds, and car parks.
Conditions of Poisoning:
All parts of the plant are poisonous but the toxins are most highly concentrated in the root after leaves are completely open. The active alkaloid levels vary greatly between regions as well as populations.
This plant if consumed can irritate the urinary tract and increase the risk of developing kidney stones. Higher doses of ingestion can result in Salivation more sever reactions such as Tremors or Kidney failure.
SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.
If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly