Deadly Nightshade (Solanum nigrum)

DEADLY NIGHTSHADE
(Solanum nigrum)
A.K.A.
Duscle, Garden Nightshade, Hound’s Berry, Petty Morel, Wonder Berry, Black Nightshade, Small-fruited Black Nightshade or Popolo
_____

ImageUnavailableSenecio Oleander Flowers

Black nightshade is fairly commonly found in many wooded and disturbed areas and is considered a herb or short-lived perennial shrub. It is highly toxic to humans and animals. It can grow 12 to 48 inches in height, the leaves are 1 1/2 to 3 inched long and 1 to 2 1/2 inches wide. the leaves are somewhat heart shaped with large wavy/toothed edges with both surfaces are either hairy or hairless. The flowers surround prominent bright yellow anthers and are greenish to whitish in color and  recurved when aged. The Fruit (berries) are roughly .3 to .8 inches in diameter dull black or purplish-black in color and are formed in several clusters of around seven berries each.

Distribution:
Native to Eurasia and introduced in the Americas, Australasia and South Africa.

Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion, Skin contact

Toxic Principle:
Glycoalkaloids – All parts of the plant are considered poisonous.

Clinical Symptoms:
ymptoms are typically delayed for 6 to 12 hours after ingestion. Initial symptoms of toxicity include fever, sweating, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, confusion, drowsiness, cardiac arrhythmias and respiratory failure and even death.

IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435