DESTROYING ANGLE/DEATH CAP
This mushroom is DEADLY POISONOUS and resemble several other edible kinds like the Ceasar’s and the Straw mushrooms which are cultivated for human consumption. They appear mostly under oaks, but can be found under Beeches, Birches, Chestnuts, Horse chestnuts, Filberts, Hornbeams as well as Pines and Spruces. It’s body above ground usually has a cap from 2 to 6 inches across. originally round and spherical when young and flattening with age. The caps color can be a pale yellow or olive green often paler towards the outer edges, rain also makes the caps appear paler. The white gills are free, while the stipe is also white is has a scattering of grayish-olive scales, it’s thick with a swollen ragged sac-like white base (volva). The volva is a distinctive feature, so it is important to remove any leaf litter or ground debris from around the base to check for the volva. The smell has been described as initially faint and honey -sweet, but over time it becomes sickly-sweet and objectionable.
Widely Distributed across Europe, it has been distributed through many other regions with broadleaved trees and where there has been the introduction of non native species of Oaks, Chestnut and Pines.
Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion, Skin Contact
The principal toxic constituent is α-amanitin,
AVOID SKIN CONTACT or INGESTION – Irreparable Liver and Kidney damage, most often fatally. HIGHLY TOXIC
IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.
If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly