Machineel Tree (Hippomane mancinella)

MANCHINEEL TREE
(Hippomane mancinella)
_____ImageUnavailable

 Senecio Oleander Flowers

The name Manchineel in modern spanish refer to “little apple of death”  a fact that this is one of the most poisonous trees in the world. The Manchineel tree grows to around 15 m. in height, has a greyish bark,  green shiny leaves and small greenish flowers. Its fruits are green or greenish-yellow when ripe and resemble an apple in appearance. All parts of this tree produce strong allergic dermatitis. The fruit is considered to be potentially fatal if eaten. The trees with red bands are so toxic that if you are standing under one when its raining the drop of rain water from a leaf may cause blistering. Many of these trees carry a warning.

Distribution:
In the United States it’s native in Florida. Bahamas, Caribbean, Central America, and northern South America where it be found on or near to coastal beaches.

Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion, Skin contact, Inhalation

Toxic Principle:
The Tree and its parts contain STRONG Toxins
12-deoxy-5-hydroxyphorbol-6gamma, 7alpha-oxide, hippomanins, mancinellin, and sapogenin, phloracetophenone-2,4-dimethylether is present in the leaves, while the fruits possess physostigmine. The milky white sap contains phorbol and other skin irritants.

Clinical Symptoms:
Ingestion: may produce severe gastroenteritis with bleeding, shock, bacterial super-infection, and the potential for airway compromise due to edema and possible death.

Skin Contact: Strong allergic dermatitis. Standing beneath the tree during rain will cause blistering of the skin from mere contact with this liquid (even a small drop of rain with the milky substance in it will cause the skin to blister).

Inhalation: The smoke from burning wood if it reaches the eyes can cause blindness.

IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435