Mayapple/Mandrake (Podophyllum peltatum)

MAYAPPLE/MANDRAKE
(Podophyllum peltatum)
A.K.A.
Hogapple, Indian Apple, Mayflower, Umbrella Plant, Wild Lemon, Wild Mandrake, American Mandrake or “Devil’s Apple
_____

Mayapple, MandrakeMayapple plant with fruit on ground

Mayapple is a a herbaceous perennial native woodland perennial, that may form large colonies, with leaves in the shape of an umbrella. The waxy white or pale pink flowers are mostly hidden under the leaves. The greenish “mayapple” follows and is often eaten by wildlife. When fully ripe, the fruits may be used to make preserves or jellies, but they are toxic when unripe. Leaves and roots are poisonous. Plants often go dormant in the summer. Though the common name is mayapple, it is not the “apple” but the flower that appears in early May. The Apple or “fruit” is produced in early summer and in later summer ripens.

Distribution:
Native to deciduous forests in of eastern North America.

Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion, Skin contact

Toxic Principle:
Podophyllin

Clinical Symptoms:
Reactions to ingestion of this plant can include: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, panting, coma (rare); dermal – redness, skin ulcers.

IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435