Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia)

MOUNTAIN LAUREL
(Kalmia latifolia)
A.K.A.
Calico-bush, Ivybush, Lambkill, Sheep Laurel or Spoonwood
_____

Mountain-LaurelMountian Laurel

A native to the eastern United States this flowering plant is a member of the blueberry family, Ericaceae. This small to medium evergreen shrub grows anywhere from 3–9 m tall. The leaves typically are 1–4 cm wide and grow to a length of  3–12 cm. The flowers which bloom in May and June occur in clusters, are round, range in color from light pink to white. Today cultivars have cultivated darker shades of pink, near red and maroon pigments. Roots are fibrous and matted.

Naturally found in mountainous forest areas and on rocky slopes.  It often grows in large thicket sand can cover vast areas of forest floor. In the pristine mountain areas of the Carolinas it can grow to be tree size while further north it is an shrub. The species is a frequently found in oak-heath forests.

Distribution:
Native the the eastern United States it was introduced to Europe in the late 1800’s

Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion

Toxic Principle:
Grayanotoxin,  All parts of the plant are poisonous.

Clinical Symptoms:
Typically not very palatable to horses unless it is the only forage available, but sheep and goats may graze readily on the plant. The toxic principle interferes with normal skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle and nerve function. Clinical effects typically occur within a few hours after ingestion, and can include acute digestive upset, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, frequent bowel movements/diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, loss of coordination, stupor, leg paralysis, weak heart rate and recumbency for 2 or more days; at this point, improvement may be seen or the animal may become comatose and die.

IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *