Nettle/Stinging Nettle (Urtica)

NETTLE/STINGING NETTLE
(Urtica)
A.K.A.
Common Nettle, Burn Nettle, Burn Weed, and Burn Hazel.
_____Stinging-Nettle-Stem

A herbaceous perennial flowering plant best-known for the many hollow stinging hairs on the leaves and stems called trichomes. The trichomes act like hypodermic needles, injecting histamine and other chemicals that produce a stinging sensation when contacted by animals and humans. This erect upright hollow stalked plant can grow from 3 to 7 ft tall in the summer and dies back in the winter to the ground. It’s roots are bright yellow while the the leaves are soft green in color with strongly serrated edges. The leaves are from 1 to 6 inches in length and are opposite on the upright stem. The flowers are small and greenish to brownish in color in dense clusters.

Distribution:
Native to Europe, Asia, North Africa, and North America, it can be found as far south as Northern Mexico. In Canada and the United States it is found in every province and state except for Hawaii.

Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion, Skin contact

Toxic Principle:
acetylcholine, histamine, 5-HT (serotonin), moroidin, leukotrienes, and possibly formic acid.

Clinical Symptoms:
Stinging, and blistering skin, and if ingested of the mouth which may case sever allergic reaction and difficulty in breathing similar to a bee sting

IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435