Poison Hemlock (Canium maculatum)

POISON HEMLOCK
(Canium maculatum)
A.K.A.
Poison Parsley, Spotted Hemlock, Winter Fern, California Fern,
Nebraska Fern, Deadly Hemlock

_____

Poison-HemlockPoison Hemlock in flower

A Herbaceous biennial plant which grows between 5-8 ft. tall the stems that are smooth and green usually with spots or streaks of red or purple on the lower part of them. The leaves are lacy and finely divided with an overall triangular shape roughly 20 in. in length and 16 in. in width. The flowers are small and white, in clusters of 4-6 inches across.

Distribution:
Native to Europe and the Mediterranean region also Southern Africa

Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion

Toxic Principle:
Various Alkaloids

Clinical Symptoms:
Infrequently causing poisonings, this plant is not likely to be consumed unless other forage is not available. A number of toxic alkaloids are contained within the plant, and the content varies depending on the stage of maturity or reproduction, and climactic conditions. As the plant dries out, the toxic potential disappears. Clinical signs can develop within minutes after ingestion, and may include central nervous system excitation, muscle tremors, incoordination, excessive salivation, frequent bowel movements and urination, abdominal pain, and increased respiratory rate. As the syndrome advances, weakness progresses to muscular paralysis. Death is possible due to respiratory paralysis.

IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435