Poison Ivy/Poison Oak/Posion Sumac (Rhus sp.)

POISON IVY/POISON OAK/POISON SUMAC
(Rhus sp.)
_____

Poison-IVYPoison Ivy

Poison Ivy: is a poisonous North American and Asian plant can be a trailing vine, shrub or climbing vine. Known for it’s production a clear liquid compound in the plants sap called urushiol that causes an itching, irritation and sometimes a painful rash when the plant is touched. The trailing vine can grow anywhere from 3.9  to 9.8 in tall, the shrub up to 3 ft 11 in tall and the climbing vine clings to trees land other vertical supports.
C
Poison Oak: is part of the sumac family (Anacardiaceae) it can be found in deciduous woodlands and usually is an erect shrub ranging from 3 ft to 10 ft in height. or it can be a climbing vine. The leaves are dark green and shiny which in the fall turn to shades of red and yellow. The stems are often hairy. Just like poison Ive the leaves are in threes.

Poison Sumac: is a small shrub or tree growing up to 30 feet tall. The pinnate has anywhere from 7-13 leaflets which are oblong and 2-4 in. in length and tapering to a  sharp point at the end. The flowers grow in loose clusters 3-8 inches in length. the fruit is not quite spherical, grey in color flattened and about 2 in in diameter. One can find poison sumac growing exclusively in very wet or flooded soils, usually in swamps and peat bogs. in the United States and Canada.

Poison-SumacPoison Sumac

Distribution:
Poison Ivy can be found throughout much of North America as well as in Canada, it grows as a wooded areas close to the edges or where the tree line breaks allowing sunshine through. It also grows in exposed rocky areas open fields, disturbed areas as well as in suburban areas along fence lines,

Conditions of Poisoning:
Skin contact

Toxic Principle:
Urushiol which binds to the skin on contact. Although Dogs are not usually affected by direct contact with the plants, if exposed the should be bathed immediately to prevent  a secondary contact infection in humans.

Clinical Symptoms:
Sever skin itching that develops into reddish colored bumps and then blistering. Although dogs are not usually affected by direct contact with the plants, if exposed the should be bathed immediately to prevent a secondary contact infection in humans.

IMMEDIATELY SEE YOUR VET FOR TREATMENT OPTIONS
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435