Prunus Spp.


Apple, Apricot, Bitter Almond, Carolina Cherry, Carolina Cherry Laurel, Cherry, Cherry Laurel, Laurel Cherry,  Nectarine, Peach, Pear, Plum, Wild Mock Orange

Cherry-BloosomsCherry Blossoms

Prunus can be a deciduous or evergreen flowering tree or shrub with around 430 different members, that are widely cultivated throughout the world for their fruits and decorative flowers. The fruit is commonly referred to as stone fruit. A few species have spiny stems. The leaves are typically simple, alternate and unlobed. The leaf stems often have nectaries. The five petal flowers  are typically white to pink and sometimes red. The fruit is fleshy with a single relatively large hard coated seed or “stone”.

CherryTreesCherry Trees in bloom

There are a number of cultivars and hybrids that are grown as ornamental plants usually for their abundance of flowers, sometimes for the foliage, bark and overall shape. These ornamentals are collectively called ‘flowering cherries” which includes the Japanese sakura.

CupofAlmondsA Cup of Almonds

The  general population considers the almond a nut when it is really just the seed from the almond fruit. Even though humans can tolerate the fleshy skins and the some of the seed of the prunus spp. they are considered toxic to most animals.
The northern temperate regions of the globe.

Conditions of Poisoning:
Ingestion, Skin contact

Toxic Principle:
Cyanogenic Glycosides,  Cyanide

Clinical Symptoms:
The sharp thorns can often leave a very sore and red area which usually disappears after 2 or 3 days. This is possibly due to the minute amounts of cyanide in the plant. When ingested the berries produce mild gastrointestinal upset, however if eaten over time the berries small amount of cyanide will build up in the intestinal track and can lead to more serious complications such as disrupt heart function, trigger circulatory failure and lead to death.


 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly