Yew


YEW
(Taxus sp.)

Yew
Yew
C
This common evergreen (meaning the plant stays green all year round) is extremely poisonous to all species (e.g., dogs, cats, horses, cattle, humans, etc.). All parts of the plant (including the succulent, red berries) are very poisonous, as they contain taxines. There are several variety of plants in the Taxus sp., including the Japanese Yew, English Yew, Chinese Yew, Tree of Death, Evergreen and Taxine.Pacific-Yew

Pacific Yew

Toxic Principle:
Taxine – FATAL. The Foliage, Flowers and Berries are toxic but consider all parts of this plant to be fatal.
Poisoning Symptoms include:
When ingested by dogs and cats, clinical signs of drooling, vomiting, weakness, difficulty breathing, life-threatening changes in heart rate and blood pressure, dilated pupils, tremors, seizures, coma and death may be seen. Recently, florists have started to use Japanese Yew to make wreaths for the holidays. As horses are very susceptible to yew poisoning, make sure not to have this around the barn or pasture!

CONTACT YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY
__________

 Lone Star English Setter Club provides this information
as a partial reference of the potential poisons that could harm your dog.
We are not veterinarian’s and DO NOT provide medical help.

 If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance,
contact your local veterinarian or
the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poisoning hotline directly

 1-888-426-4435